To develop a mental imagery script, follow the instructions. Write down your notes and script on paper or use the workbook for this course.
- Write down notes for each of the five Ws:
- Where and When
- As part of the “what,” note:
- The perspective you will use (1PP or 3PP)
- Multisensory detail you will include (PETTLEP)
- Based on your notes, write your script.
- Read it aloud and revise as needed.
- Implement it by one of these methods:
- Record audio of you as the guide to be played in your headphones.
- Ask another person to read the script as your guide.
- Read and/or memorize the script to guide yourself.
- Periodically evaluate the script and update it and/or create new ones as your needs change.
The workbook provides templates for all of the practical applications in the course. Download here if you haven’t already:
- Practical Application Workbook (Google Doc)
Below is a screenshot of a sample script from the paper by Sarah Williams and colleagues. This is a script used by a young slalom canoeist before competition to deal with pre-race nerves and enhance self-confidence.